Our Mission …
Our mission in the Killingly Public Schools Public Schools is to create a community in which reading, writing, speaking, listening, and thinking serve as the foundation for life-long learning.
• All children should view themselves as readers and writers.
• Children need to be engaged in authentic daily reading and writing activities.
• Children learn best when affirmed and celebrated in a supportive and caring environment.
• Placing appropriate demands and expectations on each child builds self-esteem and results in greater personal success.• Literacy means not only to read, write, speak, and listen, but also to use language to learn, think, and communicate effectively.
• Classrooms need to be print-rich and to contain a wide variety of reading materials, resources, and technology to support a child’s literacy development.Children need to enjoy reading and writing and develop life-long literacy habits.
Our Approach… The Workshop Model
· The goal of the Reading and Writing Workshop Model is to personalize instruction in order to accommodate the learning needs of all students while fostering a love for reading and writing. Students are involved in authentic reading experiences that continually focus on the strengths and needs of individuals.
Structure of the Workshop Model…
· Mini Lesson that includes explicit modeling and guided practice.
· Interactive Read –Aloud.· Independent Reading and Writing Time
· Group Sharing